on January 03, 2017
Your guide to traveling on a budget! Here are the latest tips and tricks to save you some cash when traveling.
- Sign up for airline mailing lists to receive firsthand updates on sales and flight packages.
- Don't book on days when prices are higher. Be sure to monitor flight prices throughout the week to pick up on pricing patterns. The best time to book for US domestic flights is Tuesday at 3pm Eastern time.
- Don't forget to use your miles! Build up your miles through traveling, signing up for a mileage reward credit card, or staying up to date on current milage shopping offers.
- Join the sharing economy for vacation rentals through Airbnb or VRBO.
- Swap houses with a fellow traveler. Check out homeexchange.com and homelink.org. Always talk extensively with your swapper and, if possible, ask for references. Before swapping houses be sure to lock away your valuables and check your home insurance to see how guests are covered.
- House sitting is another great and cheap way to find accommodations during your stay. Many house sitting websites require an annual fee, however it still beats paying a daily hotel or rental rate. Some of the best house sitting sites include TrustedHousesitters.com, MindMyHouse.com, and Housecarers.com
- Depending on where you are traveling too, eating out each meal during your trip can really cost a fortune as most restaurants tend to raise prices in highly populated tourist areas. Yelp and TripAdvisor are great resources to find local favorites. Some of the best places tend to be the little mom and pop shops!
- Plan your meals ahead of time and have them delivered prior to your arrival, or shortly after check in. Go Ramble offers customizable grocery orders, preset packages and gift baskets, all of which can be delivered throughout Oahu. Don’t have access to a kitchen during your travels? No worries! Many of our preset packages are cook-free!
Tours and Attractions
- Sign up for prepaid group tours. While planning what tours you want to sign up for, a guide can give you a sense of other costs to help you budget. Find interesting group tours at intrepidtravel.com.
- Groupon offers discounted prices to many local attractions, tours, and activities.
- Looking to see a lot in a short amount of time? GoCards offer discounts to top attractions at many major cities, including Oahu!
Booking Fixed Cost Trips
- Groupon offers discounted travel packages. However, be aware that many packages are for specific dates and depart from specific airports, so it may be necessary to purchase an additional flight. Always read the fine print before you buy!
- Costco also offers discounted travel packages to its members.
- Visit vacation booking sites such as Expedia, Travelocity, etc. for deals on vacation packages.
It's time to get out and Go Ramble! What are your favorite ways to travel on a budget?